Wednesday, June 27, 2007

insomnia


sleep evades me - a little kid caught up in a game of catch-me-if-you-can, if you dare, if you want.
My teeth clench and unclench
muscles too. leg, shoulder, arm, fingers.

I should be able to get past it all - close my eyes and let it go
(let what go? what is it that makes my heart race, my legs want to kick kick kick, my eyes blink open to watch the time tick by)

I make lists of my lists. to do tomorrow, next week, at the library.

I start the dish washer, get coffee ready, fold clothes.

sit in this chair
one knee resting on the other
hard wood pressing against my back, my thigh, my calf
elbow on the placemat. the blue one that will waffle my skin long before I decide to go back to bed.

Yawns escape teasingly. the cat makes one last circut and then settles down near the birdcage. i finish my tea
turn off the light

and shuffle back upstairs.

1 comment:

normanack said...

Miss ya.

It almost doesn't feel like summer vacation around here yet -- both kids had day camps last week, and the girl has horse camp this week -- I'm driving all the time.

So in the little bit of time I'm at home, I tend to sit in my favorite chair, listen to a book, and (this week) crochet. My own little happy place.